Staying Safe As Temperatures Rise
As temperatures remain high in West Michigan, the Kent County Health Department and National Weather Service offer safety tips to prevent heat-related injuries and deaths.
According to the agencies, heat is one of the leading weather-related killers in the U.S., resulting in hundreds of fatalities each year.
You can prevent heat-related injuries or deaths by:
- Staying hydrated when working outdoors and taking breaks in shaded areas.
- Wearing lightweight, light-colored and loose fitting clothing. Light colors will reflect away some of the sun’s energy.
- Applying sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher 30 minutes prior to going outside. Reapply every two hours, or after swimming, sweating or toweling off.
- Checking in with those who do not have air conditioning to ensure they are in good health.
- Refraining from leaving children and pets unattended in your parked vehicle.
- Limiting strenuous outdoor exercise, if possible.