Tips for Preventing Mosquito and Tick Bites This Summer
As you spend more time outdoors this summer, take steps to prevent bites from mosquitoes and ticks, which can carry viruses and diseases.
According to the Kent County Health Department, residents should follow these recommendations to avoid bites.
- Apply EPA-registered repellant that contains 10% to 35% DEET.
- Wear light colored pants and long-sleeve shirts when possible so insects can be spotted easily.
- Stay indoors during dusk.
- Refresh water in bird baths, children’s pools and water bowls for pets; empty other containers that can collect water to stop the insects from breeding.
- Keep your lawn and shrubs trimmed.
- Stay on well-maintained trails and avoid contact with high grass, brush and ground that’s covered in fallen leaves.