Mobile Home Owners Property Tax
Click HERE to pay your property tax billThe Treasurer's Department receives many questions about tax bills for mobile homeowners. The tax is NOT on the actual mobile home itself. The State of Michigan requires the Township to assess personal property taxes on items that you own near or adjacent to your mobile home, such as awnings, porches, decks, carports or sheds. This only applies to homes in mobile home parks; residential homes are assessed for these items as real property.
Below is a list of items that are taxable. We hope that this information will assist you with some of your questions. All of these items are assessed at 50% of the market valued and depreciated. Please call the Treasurer's Department with questions at (616) 726-8891.
If you own or rent a mobile home as of December 31 (also known as "tax day") you are responsible for the taxes based on the taxable value of the following items. You may also be responsible for previous unpaid tax years on the home you now occupy if the seller did not pay the taxes due.
Items that are taxed as leasehold Personal Property
- Detached or attached sheds and outbuildings which are on concrete slabs, posts, piers, or skids
- Attached carports and porches.
- Concrete floors, walks, patios, etc., which are not part of the pad provided by the park
- Attached garages
- Wood decks and porches
- Additions that are are not part of the original unit
- Other items deemed as "leasehold Improvements" by the Township Assessor
All mobile homeowners who own and occupy their property are entitled to the PRE Principal Residence Exemption, formerly known as the homestead exemption. Click HERE for the PRE form.